Tuesday, December 18, 2012

free people: the road less traveled

Who loves Free People? I do!!! Their clothes aren't just manipulated pieces of fabric and trims, but rather elements of a story and a lifestyle. Their newest lookbook "The Road Less Traveled" is the story of a bohemian gypsy wander who seeks the hidden treasures of the world. I think I speak for all of us gypsy nomads when I say that all we need in life is this wardrobe and a caravan. Here's what I love about the pieces. 

 The whole collection uses these amazing Afghani tribal necklaces. I'm actually lucky enough to have authentic Afghani pieces that my aunts have brought back with them from their homeland, Afghanistan. Seeing these on FP's site just gave me so much pleasure. It's awesome knowing that your heritage is valued by others. 
This outfit has so much rich texture and color. The cobalt blues and the garnet reds are gorgeous, along with the burnt russet turban. The embroidery is subtle, yet the details do so much for the outfit's aura.
This look reminds me so much of one of my favorite artists, Frida Kahlo. Everything from the hair and knitted poncho to the jewelry and the mystery and depth to the model's eyes screams Frida.
I love how such a simple striped jersey dress has been turned into a character with FP's amazing styling.
 This is the definition of laid back cool. Once again, personality shines through all the details. The shape and wash of the denim can be hard to pull, but it's done so effortlessly polished with  slightly-heeled ankle bootie and an ikat print anorak. You can also see hints of plaid on the sleeves. 

 Who would've thought Pippa, the preppy striped shirt would create such a beautiful union with Stormy, the dusty lilac maxi skirt. It's the perfect mashup that once again creates an effortlessly cool look.
I love the hippie grunge mashup with the coin belt and the plaid maxi.
 I love the teal and the dusty lilac together. It's such a beautiful combo of colors. This dusty lilac jacket is exquisite. It looks like it's been through it all, and that's what I love about it.

These printed corduroys are sweet! The FP stylists made sure not to over do the look and distract the eye from the corduroys with a basic henley dress and a baseball cap. My favorite part is the Afghani belt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment